Google+

Origami Bonsai -- a Crafty Weekends Review & Link Party

Disclosure: Tuttle Publishing gave me copy of this book free of charge for this review. All opinions in my review are my own and I did not receive any other compensation. As in all my reviews I am providing links for your ease, but receive no compensation.

Tomorrow we are sharing our exploration of Japan and our Japanese tea party as our post for the Multicultural Kid Blogs' Asian Pacific Island Heritage Month Series & Giveaway. To kick off our exploration of Japan I thought it would be great to share two Japanese arts in one book -- origami and bonsai. The book is Origami Bonsai by Benjamin John Coleman. 




Can you imagine making bonsai trees out of branches and paper? That is what this book shows you how to do? There are some amazing projects in this book and the book is very detailed with supplies, methods and different projects. 

It starts with a relatively easy project which is what I tried It is making leaves and impatiens. Once you fold the leaves and flowers you hot glue them to a branch. Since it has been raining here all day, I was not able to go out and get a branch, so I have not done this step yet.

I tried the basic leaf with different sizes of paper. The large one is a six-inch origami paper (also from Tuttle Publishing). The middle one is a memo cube page and the small ones are a memo page cut into fourths. I decided I liked the small ones best and made the flower out of this size. I had some troubles with the small flower and getting the folds to sit correctly, but it was relatively easy and the instructions are simple to follow.


The next step will be to find a branch and hot glue them to it (and of course make many more). The finished projects in the book are amazing.

There is a chapter on making multi-flower assemblies like the one in the photograph above and below. Isn't it amazing? There are all sorts of information to make these lifelike creations and there are shortcuts as well. 

There is a chapter on painting the leaves and flowers as well for the various shading and such. I know I have always loved bonsai plants and find them so interesting and love the idea of making one with another love--origami. I hope you will check out this amazing book. I would love to see pictures of any projects you make from it!

 For more on bonsai, check out this picture book. For more origami reviews and posts check out here



Thank you to everyone who shared with us at our last party!! It was a bit of a small party.  Below are some features from the party, but this is just a small sample of great ideas shared! This week we have one group of features!


Also remember for your child-oriented crafts, activities, lessons, etc. Sharing Saturday is going on!! For any cultural related posts (diversity and/or multicultural as well) be sure to share at the month long Creative Kids Creative Blog Hop.

Features


1) From The Scrap Shoppe: Tulip Pencil Toppers

2) From Suzer Space: Happy Day Mini Wreath

3) From Sparkle: Handmade Felt Succulent Gifts

4) From The Real Thing with the Coake Family: Beautiful Glass Trays Made from Wine Bottles

5) From Duct Tape & Denim: Colorful Tassel Bracelet DIY Tutorial

6) From Flamingo Toes: Vintage Style Crochet and Lace Dreamcatcher

7) From Growing Up Gabel: Homemade Citronella & Eucalyptus Candles 

8) From Five Spot Green Living: Homemade Natural Tick Repellent 

9) From Busy Being Jennifer: DIY Tufted Suitcase Dog Bed

Thank you to everyone who shared the last week!! I hope you will share again!! If you are featured here, please feel free to grab a featured button to display proudly on your blog. I would love the help spreading the word about Crafty Weekends!!


Featured Button Code:



 Please share family friendly crafts here. Just crafts and/or patterns--no recipes, lessons, etc. You can share craft product reviews as well. By linking up here you are giving me permission to share your links and to pin your links. Please follow my Crafty Weekends Feature Pinterest Board to see all the features from these fun link parties!